Selling your home can be a stressful time – but it doesn’t have to be! With a little preparation, you can make this an easier process. Here are our tips for preparing your home for sale.
- Find the right Real Estate Agent. Having a Realtor® by your side is the way to get this process started. John L. Scott Anacortes has a team of more than 25 real estate professionals ready to assist you, and we’ve been in the business for over 85 years. How do you find the right Realtor® for you? Interview several people and get a feel for their personality, communication style, and experience. Who do you see yourself working well with? Maybe it’s a seasoned agent with many years of experience, or it may be a newer agent that you just “click” with. It is important that you feel comfortable with whomever you select, and that you can have candid conversations with them.
- Hire a professional to photograph your home. John L. Scott Anacortes has you covered! Our staff photographer understands how to highlight your home’s strengths and soften its flaws, and this service is included when one of our Agents lists your home for sale.
- Get a storage unit while your house is on the market. Decluttering your home is fantastic (think of Marie Kondo!). However, if you find that you are hiding clutter in your closets and cabinets instead of completely eliminating it from your home, a storage unit may serve you better. Potential buyers will look in your closets, cabinets, and basement. If they are disorganized and overstuffed, it gives the appearance that your home is lacking in storage space.
- Remove personalized items from your house. Removing your personal photos and memorabilia allows prospective buyers to envision themselves living in your home, instead of viewing it as your home.
- Make small upgrades to your home. You do not have to go overboard with a major remodel! Instead of taking on a complete kitchen remodel, consider updating your appliances instead.
- Spruce up your curb appeal. Prune those shrubs and weed those flower beds! First impressions from a potential buyer are crucial! The first photo buyers will see online is typically a photo of your home’s exterior. If it doesn’t look good, buyers may not even click forward to look at the interior shots. Freshly planted annuals, particularly near the entryway, give a warm and inviting appearance, plus a splash of color!
If you are starting to think about making a move, call our office today at 360-293-2161, or visit us at our new office at 715 Seafarers Way, Suite 100A in Anacortes.